Pilatus is a venture capital firm driven by innovation.
We seek to join forces with early stage enterprises that develop high-impact technologies with global reach. We aim to provide guidance to perfect, protect, and commercialize these innovations. Even uphill.
FROM INNOVATION TO VALUE CREATION
Our investment approach centers on the technology above all. We believe that innovative technology is the fundamental building block upon which businesses are built.
We partner with early-stage enterprises and help them develop and commercialize their high-impact technologies. In doing this we enable our partners to profit from these applied innovations and create global impact. Our investment thesis is based on groundbreaking research from Professor David J. Teece on Profiting From Innovation and our operating framework is guided by Dynamic Capabilities, published in his latest book.
THE NEXT FRONTIER
From life science diagnostics to healthcare delivery systems, new technologies are creating novel treatments, therapies, and insights.
Reducing material waste, energy consumption, and environmental impact at large. We believe these objectives are imperative for our future and also have enormous economic potential.
We believe the landscape of retail is changing rapidly and there is enormous potential for innovators – from supply chain to the end consumer – across the breadth of retail.
Above all, we are interested in technological innovation and are always curious about new ideas on the horizon.
Dr. David J. Teece
EXECUTIVE CHAIRMAN AND CO–FOUNDER
- Co–founded enterprises with combined revenues of over $1B
- Top executive for two companies with successful Nasdaq IPOs
- Director of Business Innovation Institute at UC Berkeley
- PhD in Economics, University of Pennsylvania as well as 8 honorary PhDs globally
- Member of R&D Advisory Board for Aramco and Strategy Advisory Board for Intel
- International Advisory Board member, Tsinghua University for Technology and Innovation
- Recognized as a top 50 business intellectual by Accenture in 2011
- One of the most cited scholars globally (top 0.1% per Google)
Principal Executive Officer and Co–founder
- Co–founded an enterprise with revenues of over $600M
- CEO for two high tech startups
- Ran M&A for an aerospace and transportation multinational
- Deep operational experience in many industries
- Health Sciences basic training
- Engineering Degree from McGill University with special decorations
- MBA from UCLA specializing on business strategy and acquisitions
- Accomplished national-level athlete
Joe Bohling, JD
CHIEF INVESTOR RELATIONS OFFICER AND MANAGING PARTNER
- Co-founded enterprises with proforma profit and loss responsibility of $35M+ per annum
- Global Strategy and Human Capital Practice leader for large professional services firm
- Executive coach and advisor to Boards of Directors and top leaders of Fortune 500, ultra-high net worth family office owned enterprises, and high-tech startups
- Led the merger and acquisition efforts and integration of a $9B high tech Silicon Valley based company
- Former Chief Human Resources Officer for Fortune 200 company responsible for $700M health, welfare, and benefits budget
- Deep operational experience and expertise in high tech, healthcare, and manufacturing
- Juris Doctor, University of Colorado School of Law
- Former President of the Executive Committee and Member of the Advisory Board for Colorado State University Alumni Association
The Pilatus team has diverse strengths across many disciplines and industries.
We have deep academic foundations and an unwavering commitment to furthering innovation. We are a group of C-Suite leaders who have spent decades investing, building, and operating successful businesses. We strive to leverage our expertise and networks to identify, evaluate, and enable our portfolio.
San Francisco, CA